How Are Your Video Skills? It’s Time to Level Up!
We all know that video is an important marketing tool for today’s small business owners, right? Do you…really? Let’s check it out.
The Case for Video
Biteable.com gave some interesting stats about video…eye-popping, actually. Okay, they sell video creation products. You can begin with a free, introductory “Make a Video” service, and I’m pretty sure they keep trying to upsell you. Still, these stats are hard to ignore:
- Videos attach 300% more traffic and help to nurture leads. (MarketingSherpa)
- A website is 53 times more likely to reach the front page of Google if it includes video. (Insivia)
- Including a video on your landing page can boost your conversion rate by up to 80%. (Unbounce)
- Video increases organic search traffic on a website by 157%. (Conversion XL)
- 97% of marketers say video has helped users gain a better understanding of their products and services. (Hubspot)
Let’s head over to HubSpot.com and see what they have to say:
- Video has become the most commonly used format in content marketing, overtaking blogs and infographics. (HubSpot, 2020)
- Promotional videos and brand storytelling are the most common video types created by marketers. (HubSpot, 2020)
- 87% of video marketers say that video has increased traffic to their website. (Wyzowl, 2020)
- 80% of video marketers claim that video has directly increased sales. (Wyzowl, 2020)
- Video is the second most-used content type on social media used to increase audience engagement. (HubSpot, 2020)
- Live video is the third most-used social media marketing tactic. (HubSpot, 2020)
- 93% of brands got a new customer because of a video on social media. (Animoto, 2019)
Are You Using Video?
Given these stats, and others that solidly support the value of video for small business owners, let me ask: Are YOU using video? If so, how? If not, read the next section of this blog!
There are many ways small business owners can use video. Here are some examples to get you started:
- Behind the Scenes. Your customers love videos that let them peek behind the curtain, see the burgers you are flipping and what your staff does on their break or your give-back to the community.
- Products and Services. Remember that stat above that said, “97% of marketers say video has helped users gain a better understanding of their products and services”? Right. This is your opportunity!
- Interviews. Is there someone you can interview that your customers would love to learn more about or that can educate them about a topic important to them?
- Reviews. How about your favorite book or movie that made a big difference for you in some way? There is *something* you can review that is relevant to your business that your customers will find of value.
- Testimonials. There is nothing as awesome as capturing a client gushing about how awesome you and your products/services are! Seriously. They love you, and let that shine through, authentically, to your future clients.
If You Are Not Using Video, Why Not?
When I ask my clients this question, I often hear these responses:
- I’m a perfectionist and I can never get it right.
- I am too young/too old/too (fill in the blank).
- I don’t know how, what equipment/platform to use.
- I don’t know what to say (check out the prior section!).
- I am just not comfortable with video.
- I know I should, but……(whatever, blah, blah, blah).
These responses are valid. I get it. They apply to me, too. But…wait for it…my response to my clients who are serious about growing their businesses typically fall into two categories, either “it’s time to get over it” or “let’s figure this out.” And often they fall into both of those categories!!
With these honest stumbling blocks in mind, I decided to create a free Facebook group, STG Live Video Studio. We are just getting this off the ground, so join now and you can become a founding member. It is designed to be a safe place to…gulp!…practice your videos, gain supportive feedback and suggestions, be collaborative, and have fun!! If you would like to join, head on over, ask to join, and read our rules (no shameless promotion, no links, disclaimer, etc.). If you agree, once you’ve joined, look into your camera, and get started. Your business growth awaits!
To prove my point, I made a video about my mastermind groups, MEG (My Entrepreneurial Group) Connect and MEG Startup. Huge gulp. I am extremely private, and this is wwwaaaayyyy outside my comfort zone. I hate it (I am a perfectionist, just sayin’!), I see all my flaws, etc. However, I, like my clients, have determined that no pandemic or worldwide economic meltdown is going to stop me, and that if I am serious about growing my company beyond where it currently is, and be ready to weather whatever else awaits us in 2020, 2021 and beyond, video must be part of it. Period. And I also believe strongly: Results Require Action. Done.
So, check out my video link below. I am proof that you can make a video, survive, and live to make a better video another day! And consider joining our private Facebook group.
Resource: Startup to Growth Video about MEG Connect Groups
Resource: Private Facebook Group, STG Live Video Studio
As always, if you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected]. I’m happy to help!
Robin Suomi, MBA, is an experienced small business expert and founder of Startup to Growth. She has worked with thousands of small business owners through coaching, mastermind groups, education and training. Robin believes success is rarely accidental and her passion is to help her clients set and reach their goals. Working with clients remotely through video platforms, she helps clients answer their technical business planning and execution questions as well as supporting them while they explore their potential. She encourages clients to dig deeper, dream bigger, and works with them to create their tangible Success Steps. Check out the website for ongoing virtual Small Business Coaching, Small Business Blueprint in 30-Days classes, MEG (My Entrepreneurial Group) Connect and MEG Startup mastermind groups. Email [email protected] with your questions.