Year-End Checkup and #2018SmallBusinessGoals
Create your Small Business Success Steps for 2018!
It’s that time of year again. It is time to review your business, look at what you did well in 2017 and also look at where you need to improve, learn from that, and set your Action Plan for 2018 – also called your Strategic Plan or your Small Business Success Steps. Whatever you call it, you really do need to do it. Tough love here from a coach that loves to get clients into ACTION!
When I work with clients on business planning, some typical areas we cover are:
- Products/Services Offerings
- New Business and Technology Trends
- Competitor and Industry Changes
- Marketing Strategy – Online and Offline
- Work/Life Balance
And this last category is becoming increasingly important to my clients. We all have the same amount of time each day, and we sometimes need help to take a fresh perspective on HOW we are using our time. I LOVE helping clients look at their values, revisit their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT), and see how they are all playing out in the business choices they make every day and how those choices impact their life outside of work. Are they living or violating their values? It really does make a difference in how fulfilled we are as business owners.
Some typical themes that emerge from our coaching sessions are:
- Should I consider an online product? Everyone else is! And my initial response is almost always: So what? Let’s look at YOU, YOUR business, and see if this makes sense for YOU!
- There are more competitors in my space. How can I compete against them?
- My business is growing. I’m stretched too thin. The reasons I started this business are being lost. What can I do? I’m not happy.
- I just don’t like Social Media, at all. Do I NEED to get involved with Social Media?
- I can’t do it all. I’m overwhelmed. Help me set my priorities and create focused goals for 2018.
- I really missed the mark on that new product line. I need to re-evaluate.
Now you have the data needed to set your small business goals for the next 1 to 5 years. You should also set weekly/monthly/quarterly goals. These goals, written down, keep you on track and focused on achieving what you SAY you want to achieve. I always say that wishin’ and thinkin’ ain’t doin’ and achievin’. Set your goals. Do the work. Achieve your goals. Done.
We cover these topics and so many more with small business owners just like you. Then we create action plans to keep them on track. Or you can do this on your own. Either way, make sure you evaluate last year and create a plan for the new year! If you have any questions about this blog or any of our products/services, please contact Startup to Growth, LLC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robin Suomi, MBA, is an experienced small business expert and founder of Startup to Growth, LLC. She helps clients answer their technical business planning questions, and also encourages them to dig deeper, dream bigger, working with them to create their Success Steps! Check out our small business coaching services and events, including Business Plan Boot Camps (public and customized), Blogging Workshops and Startup Services. Qustions? Email us at email@example.com, or simply schedule a free consult.
Also check out Startup to Growth Video Library for additional small business training and professional development videos available to you online, anytime. A very affordable option.