Year-End Checkup and #2018SmallBusinessGoals
Create your Small Business Success Steps for 2018!
It’s that time of year again. It is time to review your business, look at what you did well in 2017 and also look at where you need to improve, learn from that, and set your Action Plan for 2018 – also called your Strategic Plan or your Small Business Success Steps. Whatever you call it, you really do need to do it 🙂
When I help clients with this, we typically look at:
- Products/Services Offerings
- New Business and Technology Trends
- Competitor and Industry Changes
- Marketing Strategy – Online and Offline
- Work/Life Balance
And this last category is becoming increasingly important to my clients. We all have the same amount of time each day, and we sometimes need help to take a fresh perspective at HOW we are using our time. I LOVE helping clients look at their values, revisit their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT), and see how they are all playing out in the business choices they make every day and how those choices impact their life outside work. Are they living or violating their values? It really does make a difference in how fulfilled we are as business owners.
Some typical themes that emerge are:
- Should I consider an online product? Everyone else is! And my initial response is almost always: So what? Let’s look at YOU, YOUR business, and see if this makes sense for YOU!
- There are more competitors in my space. How can I compete against them?
- My business is growing. I’m stretched too thin. The reasons I started this business are being lost. What can I do? I’m not happy.
- I just don’t like Social Media, at all. Do I NEED to get involved with Social Media?
- I can’t do it all. I’m overwhelmed. Help me set my priorities and create focused goals for 2018.
- I really missed the mark on that new product line. I need to re-evaluate.
We cover these topics and so many others with small business owners just like you. Or you can do this on your own. Either way, make sure you evaluate last year and create a plan for the new year! If you have any questions about this blog or any of our products/services, please contact Startup to Growth, LLC at email@example.com.
Robin Suomi, MBA, is an experienced small business expert and founder of Startup to Growth, LLC. She helps clients answer their technical business planning questions, and also encourages them to dig deeper, dream bigger, working with them to create their Success Steps! Check out the website for ongoing How to Start a Business and Business Plan Boot Camp classes, as well as 1-1 and mastermind small business coaching.
Also check out Startup to Growth Video Library for additional small business training and professional development videos available to you online, anytime. A very affordable option.